Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

EWI 4000s tuning problem

EWI 4000s tuning problem - I bought one second hand and it works great except not in tune! Is sharp on the built in sounds by 12 cents and on MIDI by a tone and a half! I have tried reset, firmware is up to date, adjusted pitch bend, any more ideas?
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • Hey Gavin,

Thanks for posting!

I would also recommend checking the actual tuning of the EWI. Althrough this should have been returned to factory settings when you performed the reset, it's worth trying out! Information regarding transposition and tuning can be found on page 28 of the EWI 4000s user guide.

If you are unable to get the EWI to play correctly after adjusting these settings, it sounds like this could be relative to the hardware itself. Warranty and non-warranty claims are not handled here on the forum, but I can point you in the right direction! Here are a couple of options that you could choose from:

• Submit a Warranty or Service inquiry with our Technical Support team by logging onto the Akai Pro Support Page. Select Warranty or Service Inquiry from the drop down menu.

or

• For quicker support, call your nearest Support Office or International Distributor.

Make sure to reference or link this thread to help out the support team.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any additional questions.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Since both the internal and external sounds are sharp it can only be a pitchbend issue and not the tuning in Hertz as in page 28 of the manual. That's only for the EWI.

Since there hasn't been any mention of the pitchbend not working I'm assuming that pitchbend is working.

The amount of tuning offset of the external MIDI instrument in semitones and cents is irrelevant since it depends only on the pitchbend amount set up on the external sound generator (which does not necessarily have anything to do with the pitch offset amount on the internal EWI sounds).

It confirms that the EWI is sending a "sharp" pitchbend value, though.

If you have a MIDI monitor software (like MIDI-OX on Windows) you should be able to see a pitchbend value when switching the EWI on. This value should be "64" (MSB = Most Significant Byte) to be in tune. I'm sure it is higher.

So there are only two reasons left for the EWI (and external MIDI) to be sharp:

1) Incorrect pitchbend plate calibration

Redo the pitchbend calibration. Since both knobs are interactive you need to go several times back and forth until the instrument is "really" in tune.
    If you have a MIDI monitor watch that it centers on "64" while calibrating.

Make sure you're watching the correct dot on the EWI display that shows whether your pitchbend is centered after having entered setup. All dots should be off!

2) You could be holding the EWI with the "pitchbend up" plate.

Since you seem to be new to the EWI:
    The "pitchbend up" plate is not a thumb rest for holding the instrument as you would with a sax or clarinet, etc.
    Play a G with your left hand only and hold the EWI somewhere else with your right hand for testing.

It could be a combination of both as well - in which case you start with the bend calibration without touching the bend plates.

I'm not sure about the fact if there is any sort of autocalibration on the EWI4000s as it is the case with the EWI-USB or EWI5000.
    Probably not (because this would alter the settings of the knobs) but just to be 100% sure that this is not the case:
    Don't hold the EWI on the pitchbend plates (or any other metal part) when switching it on.

If these two things are correct there is no way that the EWI can be out of tune. Even if there was a hardware issue that tunes the instrument higher (which is extremely unlikely!) you should be able to calibrate it to be in tune anyway!

The only case where it wouldn't work at all would be that one or both of the pots for the bend calibration would happen to be broken.

For testing set both knobs to the center position before starting.

When you play and turn any of the pitchbend calibration knobs the pitch should change (always depending on the setting of the other knob).

Ingo

_
    DynaSample "XPression" MIDI/USB sound module - the ultimate sample based acoustic modeling instrument!
    www.dynasample.com
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• Thanks for your reply. I did recalibrate the pitch bend but will give it another go. Yes, I can adjust it in tune for the internal sounds but I am stumped as to why it is different for MIDI.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• It's different for MIDI because you are having a pitchbend up message coming from your EWI.

This will always have a different impact on internal and external sounds because of the different bend ranges and curves. Even if the same bend range was set up it could still be different because of the bend curve of different sound generators - unless you are at the minimum or maximum or center bend value.

That's why it doesn't make sense to use the Master Tuning of the EWI in your case.

Ingo

_
    DynaSample "XPression" MIDI/USB sound module - the ultimate sample based acoustic modeling instrument!
    www.dynasample.com
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm