Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

MPC Live - How can I upgrade memory & why is it almost full with a 240MB Project?

Well I thought it'd be a while before I ran into this problem, but my MPC Live is complaining about running out of memory.

It's weird.....when I look at my project files, they add up to around 240MB and I thought the MPC Live was supposed to have 2GIG so what is going on here?

Regardless, memory is cheap. AKAI, please tell me I can upgrade the memory.
7 people have
this question
+1
  • I have experienced the same issue from day 1. Very concerning. One poster said that the ram is soldered onto the board and cannot be upgraded which if true I'm going to have to send mine back which sucks because I actually have one of the fully functional and "BUG FREE" units.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

I'll keep an eye out for a solid answer on this. I haven't had any issues at all with the Live, but it always gives me comfort knowing I can make upgrades to anything that operates on RAM
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

Do you know of a way to switch out the RAM to a higher capacity one? even if soldered on? I heard that sometimes the CPU cant recognize higher volume RAM cards when they aren't native size.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Hey everybody,

Thanks for posting!

The RAM inside the MPC Live cannot be upgraded or added to. Are you referencing the MPC Live's storage capacity or RAM inside your project? The MPC Live's RAM handles the content in your projects - the samples, recorded audio, processing of tracks, etc. is all handled by its RAM.

If you are receiving a message that RAM is filling up, I would advise purging your project of unused sample content to free up some RAM. You can do this by selecting the battery icon in the top right corner of the display. This menu will show you the current battery life, CPU usage, and RAM usage (represented by MEM for the RAM available in the current project). Use the Purge button to do one of two things: Remove samples that are not used in any programs in this project or remove all samples from this project entirely.

It is also a good practice to remove any portion of a sample that you are not using with the Discard function in Sample Edit mode. For example, if you are working with a 5 minute song but are only sampling 1 minute of audio, it is unnecessary to have the extra 4 minutes in your project. Use the start and end points in Sample Edit's Trim mode to select this 1 minute portion and then select Process > Discard to remove the extra 4 minutes of unused audio.

I hope this helps you! Let me know if you have any questions.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• I’m confused
    Thanks, I've been using hardware samplers for over 20 years and. know all about optimizing.

And yes, I am talking about the RAM.

The REAL ISSUE is that why is 200MB in project content filling up what is SUPPOSED to be 2GB RAM? Please help me understand this. I could understand a portion of of the RAM allocated to something else, but I'm not even hitting 1/8 of 2GB with my project and am getting the full memory message.

This is a serious issue if you are advertising 2GB RAM (Which very much influenced my buying decision) but only 256MB is available.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks Nick for all the info but:

ARE THERE 2GB of usable RAM in the MPC LIVE?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Yes this is the question. In my experience the MPC LIVE only has @ 256MB of usable memory for your project.

Is this a case where AKAI's marketing department posted specs that aren't exactly correct?

If so it makes sense that Nick is avoiding the question.
    • Rex,

The MPC Live uses 2GB of RAM to process the entire project you have loaded. It is not only the file sizes of your samples that use RAM. The MPC's operating system, MIDI sequencing, individual tracks, track automation, audio tracks, etc. are all processes that utilize the RAM similar to the way that a computer (it is effectively a computer after all) would handle audio processing.

I do hope this helps clarify a bit!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

This is why I'm repeating this question.
    Would be nice to know the whole story..
    I didn't ran into this problem yet, but I
    will soon. The LIVE might have four times
    the memory of the Elektron OCTATRACK
    but that machine can stream audiofiles...
    And I use aside the MPC Live.
    • view 1 more comment
    • I ended up sending mine back and exchanged it for another Maschine Studio. The reason I switched was because the ram is limited and not upgradeable. The advertised 2gb of ram is deliberately misleading as before the user even loads anything or samples anything, most of the ram is already used up by the operating system, project data etc... Thus you are left with roughly less than half of the advertised 2gb of ram to record audio and sample with. The advertised WiFi and Bluetooth don't actually exist yet. The units cannot stream from the internal nor connected drives at all. Everything has to be loaded to the sample pool into the ram before anything can be loaded into the program slots.
    • This comment was removed on 2017-09-24.
      see the change log
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Ive had over 1 gig of actual audio samples residing in memory on the LIVE, so its larger than 256mb. I think someone even made a video loading up the ram and it was at least over 256mb before it got the mem full error.

If you cats are having issues, it could be faulty hardware and you should take it up directly with akai/inmusic.

Just in LA alone, there have been several LIVE units returned to stores for different reasons (SSD ejecting, screen flicker, buttons on the actual units working sporadically-- these are reasons given to the GC employees who handled the returns) .

The above may also be he reason the LIVE and X have been pushed back a bit *X is not slated for October). Just speculation though.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m confused
    On the MPC Live box it says '2gig of SAMPLE RAM"
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I have the MPC -X with no projects or sample loaded the RAM Systems resources show less than one precent. So it appears that I would have about 98% usage of The MPC X RAM. I will look further into this claim.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

ah wtf... akai you must be joking, how the hell am i supposed to build a computer less 2hr live set from this.. i sold my mpc 1000 for just this reason.
    think you guys owe us 50% refund for false advertising.
    • seems like we bought a while 2005 macbook with akai controller strapped to it.
      how the hell can they be so blind on the sample memory. 16gb should be the minimum up to 128gb expandable as building a live set in the modern age requires some complex parts. i think a refund of 750€ per customer should cover the difference as this is falsely advertised.
    • I ended up sending mine back and exchanged it for another Maschine Studio. The reason I switched was because the ram is limited and not upgradeable. The advertised 2gb of ram is deliberately misleading as before the user even loads anything or samples anything, most of the ram is already used up by the operating system, project data etc... Thus you are left with roughly less than half of the advertised 2gb of ram to record audio and sample with. The advertised WiFi and Bluetooth don't actually exist yet. The units cannot stream from the internal nor connected drives at all. Everything has to be loaded to the sample pool into the ram before anything can be loaded into the program slots.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I loaded up 20 Factory content Sample Kits the RAM went from the less than 1% to about 25% MEM The CPU went from 2% to 9% with the loaded content.

So it appears to me that the MPC X does approximately handle about 2GB of samples excluding the OS usage.
    I can probably load about 40 or so more Factory kits before it reaches the Ram capacity level.

The reported units may have faulty RAM or a breach in the OS System that reads it as if it is Full or only have 256 MB of RAM.

The Units that are having this problem may be lemons.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

I ended up sending mine back and exchanged it for another Maschine Studio. The reason I switched was because the ram is limited and not upgradeable. The advertised 2gb of ram is deliberately misleading as before the user even loads anything or samples anything, most of the ram is already used up by the operating system, project data etc... Thus you are left with roughly less than half of the advertised 2gb of ram to record audio and sample with. The advertised WiFi and Bluetooth don't actually exist yet. The units cannot stream from the internal nor connected drives at all. Everything has to be loaded to the sample pool into the ram before anything can be loaded into the program slots.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

If Akai were to implement HDD/SSD streaming in the Live, that would be the answer to many of my issues. #featurerequest.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

hmm.

I've been using various mpc's live, a 2500 and 1000, then I moved to using the software with the Ren and then the touch with a Mac mini hidden away so it still felt like a hardware unit.

I've just shelled out the bucks for the live, then gone to move my set over and it's way to big to load in. It's under a gig but it only gets to 60 odd percent before saying it can't load.

This is really unexpected, and a real shame.

Not really sure what to do yet but I'll start by taking the Mac mini off gumtree...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

WOW !! I'm shocked to hear it's only 2Gb shared RAM and to not allow it to be upgradeable was a huge mistake. Probably see a Version 2 come out next year with 4Gb...lol Even basic cheapo Chinese Android tablets come with 4Gb as standard nowadays. WOW thats some cheap scrimping by AKAI, and they're pushing this piece of kit for just under £1000. What a bunch of chancers. This would have been my first MPC as it sounded ideal but after reading about their past behaviours and how people have been fobbed off by them in the past I'm going to pass on this and stick with my Korg hardware. Phew!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    This is crazy I was just about to buy one of these. It's 2018 how can there be these stupid limitations.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    This is a issue in stand alone mode. When in controller mode this is not an issue
    (Depending on your computer)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

FFS!! its 2018 ram is really cheap!! 2gig... my phone has 248 gig. spose these AKAI technicians don't actually know what 2hrs of fully tweaked electronica requires, this is unbelievable.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m sad
    The 2GB non-upgradeable shared RAM without streaming capabilities seem like a poor decision indeed.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Akai technical team should be able to upgrade the memory.
    They should create an upgrade RAM program for a minimum charge ranges for 8, 16, 64 GB.

I won't mind paying for the shipping and upgrade, if the memory is soldered to the circuit/logic board I am pretty sure it can be un-soldered from the board and replaced.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wow come on now Akai, phones have standard 4gb of ram with 32gb of storage. Well 8gb ram and 64gb to 128gb storage should be the standard.

That goes for Roland, Yamaha and Korg keyboard workstations and Akai also Maschine featured products....

Also the problem with Machine they could a standalone as well with those capacity's.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• the storage thing isn't a massive problem, if you have to stones to open your live or X and replace the internal storage card with a bigger card, its tricky but doable

put whatever you want in there 64gb 128gb etc
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• So many functions in the MPCX are non-destructive, and I've been using them to utilize partials of larger samples. I've noticed that the ones that are NOT, I seem unable to utilize the efficiently. E.g. when using the extract function on a sample used in a program, one would expect that sample assignment to be reassigned to the extracted sample, but instead it stays with the larger sample.

I have an internal SSD with nearly half a TB of sample files from various libraries (CD/DVD, etc.) and some downloads. Some files are entire CD's in size, that I simply cannot load on the MPCX, so I submitted a request to be able to select a play window of some size, scan files using that window and then load when I find a decent segment. This would be a better browsing feature too. I mean, it's quite ridiculous to have to import a 30 minute file, extract 30 seconds and then purge the file, when I could've done it before loading.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• well i was about to drop 3000$ CAD on a freaking MPC X, so glad i google "upgradeable RAM" and found this first... ok, fine, throw in a ridiculous tiny amount of RAM with off the shelf purchase, but at least let us upgrade the RAM like the old school 1000.... never should have f***ing sold mine.... PLEASE for the LOVE OF GOD at least give us 8, or 16, gb of ram, and MAKE IT UPGRADEABLE.... im honestly so disappointed, because nothing else on the market compares to the features of the MPC, too bad you decided to build it as a POS.....
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm